I didn't pick up a book on Christmas Day or Boxing day so i'm playing catch up tonight. I'm 200 pages into my second book and i should have nearly finished! Doh! I'll be reading till the wee small hours tonight to get it nailed. The last 40 pages have been really interesting, the whole book so far has been good. Lots of case studies, no jargon, great information on what the future of business might look like.
There's a great case study on Levis. Ten years ago they started sourcing 2% of it's annual cotton buy organically and decided not to tell anybody about it, i couldnt work out why the worlds largest cotton buyer wouldnt tell people they were doing something bold and new that reduced their impact on the environment. I found out half a page later.
If they started promoting this, they would need to explain why-that fully a fourth of all pesticides in the world are used on cotton, and the resulting impacts on groundwater run off, worker health and safety, and the birds and the trees. If they did that they risked their customers saying "So 98% of what you buy is bad for people and the planet?"
They had to be careful because activists love to make examples of brand leaders.
Interesting stuff hey!
No comments:
Post a Comment